Road to School - Ashok Leyland Corporate
Road to School - Carousel
Road to School
Road To School - Home Page
The efforts of Ashok Leyland’s CSR and Community development focuses on education, health, hygiene nutrition and facilities development in government schools in and around the Ashok Leyland facilities.
The Road to School is an educational initiative that addresses some of the critical issues related to primary and upper primary education. The vision of the Road to School Program is to “Provide holistic development opportunities focused on quality and inclusion leading to education as a Social Leveler”. Road to School is a Global Program aligned with United Nations Global Sustainable Development Goals and to the National agenda of improving quality of education, improving health, nutrition, social and civic awareness amongst underprivileged children from Government Schools.
Alignment with United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- SDG 4: Quality Education
- SDG 3: Health and Well Being
- SDG 2: No Hunger
- SDG 6: Clean Water and Sanitation
- SDG 17: Partnerships for the Goals
Through Road to School, we address the issues of learning gaps amongst government primary and middle school students who are first generation learners, migrants belonging to economically weaker sections of the society. Apart from improving the learning in children, the Road to School Program also supports health and hygiene, wellness, nutrition, sports, clean drinking water and other facility development at Government Schools. The program is being implemented in partnership with the Government of Tamil Nadu, Sarva Siksha Abhiyan, Learning Links Foundation - an NGO working in the field of formal and informal education in India and Sports Village Foundation- a sports education organization from Bangalore.
Road to School - Accordion
The Road to School Program was launched during August 2015 in 36 government schools in and around Hosur and in 2016 the program was expanded to 72 more schools in Anchetty and Tiruvallur. In 2017, the program was further extended to 45 schools in Namakkal. In the current financial year, based on success of the program, Ashok Leyland extended the program to another 182 schools in Thally block of Hosur region and Sankari block in Salem district. Currently, the program is present in 333 schools in and around Ashok Leyland facilities impacting about 31000 under privileged government school students annually.
Learning enhancement program for primary and middle school with focus to nurture both scholastic and co-scholastic development of children using sustainable and scalable mode.
SAKSHAM project is another initiative in the name of AL-CARES, implemented in Alwar, Bhandara and Vijayawada. The objective of the ‘SAKSHAM-Community School Adoption’ is to provide education support, health and hygiene awareness and community development including volunteer engagement facilities and infra development in the communities around Ashok Leyland facilities is Ashok Leyland is working with local education officials and with the community in the project locations. All this is made possible with the complete contribution of employees.
We at Ashok Leyland, provide free comprehensive health check-up, awareness and nutritious breakfast for government school children along with sports and physical development. Regular health awareness campaigns are carried out in communities around schools through life skill co-ordinators. Advanced treatment and care is extended to the children those who are identified with chronic illness.
Today, our breakfast scheme in schools is extended to over 32000 children.
Besides education, the Road to School Program also supports extra-curricular activities including music and sports. The music program is implemented in partnership with Rhapsody, a Chennai based organization which improves the learning enhancement through music. The Sports Village Foundation, a sports education organization from Bangalore, helps our students to excel in the field of sports by rightly identifying their talent.
We at Ashok Leyland, help building school infrastructure by providing RO water purifiers, fans, tube lights, renovation of classrooms, toilets, note books and water bottles for students. Infrastructural support is provided to the schools based on the needs. Construction of class rooms, roof construction and building of toilets are some of the important need based infrastructural developments efforts undertaken by us.
Ashok Leyland under CSR project Jal Jeevan is in the process of installing RO water purification plants in villages where there is a dire need for clean drinking water. This project will be implemented by Enable Health Society and Piramal Water Private Limited which are renowned organisations in field water positivity, in collaboration with Village Water Committee. The aim of this project is sustainability through community involvement and therefore after a year the project will be handed over to the respective communities. We aim at installing 21 RO plants in the villages of Chennai, Hosur and Namakkal this year.
- 15% to 30% improvement in learning levels of students from class II to class VIII
- More than 1200 children from nearby private schools have taken admission into the Road to School program
- Created local employment for over 300 well-qualified youth to work as full-time teachers, health coordinators, project coordinators and managers in remote rural areas
- 20% reduction in dropout rates – 95% of students from 5th grade have joined middle schools and over 90% students have taken admission in 9th grade after completion of middle school
- Over 75% of the schools recorded improvement in attendance by 10- 15 %
- Grades of 12 schools improved as measured by education department survey
- Health and hygiene practices improved by over 70% in beneficiary schools.
- Over 600 students from class VIII from beneficiary schools appeared for National Means and Merits Scholarships, 94 students qualified the scholarship exam conducted by MHRD and will be getting a scholarship of Rs. 500/month for next 4 years to support their higher secondary education.
- Over 350 prizes bagged by students of beneficiary schools in various block level and cluster level competitions conducted by Government
- Comprehensive health checks done for 19700 students across 36 schools and health records are maintained. Ashok Leyland Medical officers in all schools conduct health awareness camps.
- Approximately 10500 hours of volunteering efforts were conducted by employees of Ashok Leyland to support the beneficiary schools of Road to School program.
- Increased community awareness on education and health, SMC and parent’s participations in student’s academics. More than 200 community awareness camps, village rallies were conducted on various topics and themes such as significance of Education, Health and Hygiene, communicable diseases etc.
- By impacting the society through water positivity, the organization successfully addressed one of the SDG – Clean water and Sanitation.